SYMPHONY ROAD COMMUNITY GARDEN BYLAWS (2022 Revision)
The goal of the Symphony Road Community Garden (SRCG) is to foster the enjoyment of growing vegetables, fruits and flowers on assigned plots, as well as to assist with the maintenance of common areas. Being a welcoming and active community of gardeners, preference is given to Fenway residents. There is no discrimination with respect to age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability. As used in these bylaws, the term “Member” means a gardener who has paid their dues and abided by the Rules and Regulations of and their Gardening Contract with the SRCG.
General Powers of the Leadership Committee
The affairs and property of the SRCG shall be managed by its Leadership Committee which shall exercise all the powers of the SRCG. The members of the Leadership Committee shall have any may exercise all the powers allowed them by law, by the Trustees of Reservations (“Trustees”)and these bylaws. Arm’s length dealing shall be maintained with respect to contracts, fees for services or other matters involving the property of the SRCG where Leadership Committee members are concerned. Members of the Leadership Committee shall reveal any matter in which they have a financial interest or stand to benefit, which may involve a conflict of interest with the SRCG and shall refrain from voting on such matters.
Organization and Officers
The SRCG Leadership Committee shall be comprised of (i) the five (5) officers described below (the “Officers”) who are Members and are elected by the Members in accordance with Article II and (ii) no less than one and no more than six Members who are appointed at a duly called meeting of and by the Leadership Committee to serve as ad hoc members of the Leadership Committee having such duties and responsibilities as shall be assigned to them from time to time by the Chair in consultation with the Officers (“Ad Hoc Members”). Ad Hoc Members shall serve until the adjournment of the Annual Meeting immediately succeeding their appointment.
The Officers shall have the duties as assigned, below. Responsibility for the performance of any duty not specifically assigned to an Officer shall be reserved to the Leadership Committee and the responsibility for such duties then may be assigned from time to time to any Member, Ad Hoc Member, or committee of Members or Ad Hoc Members as determined by the Chair in consultation with the Leadership Committee.
1. The Chair shall serve as liaison with the Trustees and is responsible for issuing or approving all external communications including communications with the Trustees. The Chair may delegate these responsibilities other than those relating to communications with the Trustees to another member of the Leadership Committee or a committee of Members. For purposes of this paragraph, an external communication shall be a communication, in whatever form, to any entity or person not a Member.
2. The Chair presides at the Annual Meeting and Special Meetings of SRCG and all meetings of the Leadership Committee. The Chair circulates to the Leadership Committee proposed agendas for all meetings for their review and comment. The Secretary circulates the final agenda to the participating parties. In the absence of the Chair, the Vice Chair assumes this function and may likewise preside and facilitate or delegate the responsibilities of the Chair hereunder.
3. The Chair, and in the Chair’s absence, the Vice Chair, is the person to whom other members of the Leadership Committee and/or committees shall report.
4. The Chair shall write or delegate the writing of all grant proposals in the name of the SRCG. All grant proposals must be signed by the Chair and at least two other members of the Leadership Committee before being submitted.
5. The Chair shall have such other duties as may be provided for herein.
2. VICE CHAIR
1. The Vice Chair shall act as Chair when the Chair is absent or when specifically delegated by the Chair. In addition, the Vice Chair shall serve as Chairperson of (i) the Bylaws Committee and the SRCG Social Committee and shall be responsible for managing and posting notices on the SRCG bulletin board.
2. The Vice Chair shall (i) be a cosignatory with the Treasurer on and have online access to the SRCG bank accounts, (ii) approve all checks payable to(a) Members, including members of the Leadership Committee and (b) any vendor greater than $100 and (iii) verify all financial documents including, but not limited to, bank statements and check ledgers.
1. The Secretary prepares and distributes the meeting agendas from items received from the Chair and other members of the Leadership Committee. Agendas shall be distributed in advance of the corresponding meeting.
2. The Secretary shall maintain the official minutes of SRCG meetings which must be presented and accepted by the Leadership Committee at the immediately succeeding meeting. Minutes shall include all matters discussed at the meeting and all resolutions duly proposed, seconded and passed.
3. The Secretary shares responsibility for circulating to the Members and the Leadership Committee all internal communications including, but not limited to, the meeting agendas and minutes, any SRCG newsletters, and information provided to the SRCG by the Trustees.
4. The Secretary shall maintain copies of all correspondence and documents.
5. The Secretary is responsible to notify Members of the time and place of the Annual Meeting and to provide the Members with proxies in a form approved by the Leadership Committee.
6. Records held by the Secretary shall be available for inspection by the Leadership Committee upon reasonable notice. At the end of the Secretary’s term of office all computer files, written correspondence, documents and/or other records must be turned over to the next Secretary or an officer of SRCG.
1. The Treasurer shall (i) collect dues/plot fees from those assigned plots for deposit into SRCG bank accounts (ii) subject to the provisions of these bylaws, manage all financial transactions including paying all approved SRCG invoices and reimbursement obligations; (iii) keep and maintain accurate financial records which shall be available for review by the Members, with reasonable notice; (iv) provide financial reports at all meetings of (a) Members and (b) the Leadership Committee; (v) maintain separate SRCG(s) bank account and provide monthly statements for such accounts to the Vice Chair; and (vi) reimburse items approved by the Leadership Committee.
2. All checks must be signed by the Treasurer and approved in advance by the Vice Chair or, in the Vice Chair’s absence, by the Chair under the following circumstances: first, when the expenditure to any vendor exceeds $100 and (ii) when the payment is to be made to a Member including members of the Leadership Committee. One other officer, in addition to the Treasurer and Vice Chair, may have direct access to account information and have signature authority as designated by the Leadership Committee.
3. The Treasurer must seek specific approval of the Leadership Committee before making a purchase or reimbursing a vendor or incurring an expense in excess of $100.00. An annual budget with projected expenditures shall be prepared by the Treasurer and included in the agenda of the Annual Meeting.
4. At all meetings of the Leadership Committee, the Treasurer will report on SRCG finances.
5. The Treasurer must present a full report of all transactions at the Annual Meeting. At the end of his/her term of office, documentation of current balance, bank receipts and purchase receipts must be submitted to the SRCG Leadership Committee.
5. PLOT COORDINATOR
1. The Plot coordinator shall maintain a copy of the contracts obtained from the Treasurer and be responsible for plot assignments.
2. The Plot Coordinator shall maintain a list of all current Members and garden assignments. This list shall be provided to the Trustees annually at no later than April 30th of each year, or whenever changes occur. The names of Members and their plot assignment shall be posted by the Plot Coordinator on the inside of the door to the SRCG tool shed.
3. The Plot Coordinator is responsible for disseminating applications and contract forms for SRCG membership in a form approved by the Leadership Committee and for maintaining a waiting list if all plots have been assigned when new applicants apply. The application form must state that (i) membership is restricted to City of Boston residents, (ii) no one may belong to more than one Trustees garden and (iii) preference is given to Fenway residents. The application shall be accompanied by a copy of the SRCG Rules and Regulations.
4. The Plot Coordinator shall be responsible for providing orientation for new Members.
5. The Plot Coordinator shall be responsible for observing that plots are maintained in accordance with the SRCG Rules and Regulations. Any infractions will be reported in writing to the gardener and if condition is not corrected after one week, situation will be taken to the Leadership Committee for further action, as it may determine in its sole discretion.
ANNUAL MEETING AND ELECTION OF LEADERHIP COMMITTEE
1. The SRCG Annual Meeting shall be held on the fourth Thursday of March. No less than 30 days before the Annual Meeting, each Member in good standing as of the 30th day of November immediately preceding the Annual Meeting (hereinafter an “Eligible Voting Member”). will be sent an email from the Secretary on behalf of the Leadership Committee, which email shall (i) include the date, time and place of the Annual Meeting including a draft agenda and (ii) invite nominations for Officers of the SRCG including the office for which they are being nominated. The email will provide a date no less than ten business days before the date of the Annual Meeting for the submission of nominations. A printed list of nominees will be distributed by the Secretary at the Annual Meeting.
2. All Eligible Voting Members shall be entitled to vote at the Annual Meeting or any Special Meeting of the Members. If two or more people share a garden plot, then there shall only be one vote per garden plot. Each Eligible Voting Member shall vote by circling their choice for each Office. At the conclusion of the Annual Meeting, two current Officers shall count the votes and shall announce the newly elected Officers.
3. The Annual Meeting must have a quorum of at least 50% of the Eligible Voting Members who either are present at the Annual Meeting or have submitted a written proxy to another Eligible Member.
4. The Officers shall serve in such capacity until the election of Officers is concluded at the Annual Meeting immediately succeeding their election unless such Officer is removed or resigns from office prior thereto. If no one is elected to serve as an Officer at an Annual Meeting, then the position may be filled by the remaining members of the Leadership Committee.
Preference for gardens will be given to Fenway residents on a “first come first serve basis”. All Members are responsible for the ongoing life of the Garden as a whole. No later than April 1st, the first day of the growing season ,which ends on November 30th, (“the “Gardening Season”), each gardener will be given a copy of the Bylaws, the Trustee, City of Boston and SRCG Rules and Regulations as well as the Gardeners’ Contract which contract shall be signed at the commencement of the growing season.
Any Member not participating in the maintenance of the Garden, not in compliance with Trustee or SRCG Rules and Regulations, or the Gardener’s Contract, all as now in force or as may be amended in the future by the Leadership Committee may have his/her gardening privileges revoked or not renewed, or be subject to other disciplinary measures recommended by the Plot Coordinator and approved by the Leadership Committee. The following are examples of some, but not necessarily all, forms of conduct that may result in disciplinary action up to and including loss of membership status.
A Member may appeal their loss of membership to the Leadership Committee whose decision shall be final and binding.
The Bylaws may be amended by a majority vote of the Leadership Committee at any meeting of the Leadership Committee provided that the proposed amendment is provided to the members of the Leadership Committee no later than one week prior to the meeting at which the amendment shall be considered..